Feb 4, 2008

Life is a Journey, Not a Destination

Am I ambitious? Or am I a coward? Am I weird, or just one among the crowds?

I like life to be moderate; not rich but no so poor either, not successful and not a total failure; not at the top of the ladder of a corporation but not the one to sweep the floors either. But everyone around me seems to be in a race; to be better, to be faster, to be on the top...that's sometimes I had to think that I'm really a coward, to scared to take chances. I don't like to be a coward. Courages is a way to life live, isn't it? Things worth living are worth dying for. But are money, status and success fall in that 'thing' category?
Why suddenly this was running around in my mind? Because I was told to apply for higher posts, or I should continue with my study and get my Master. But I just dont have the courage to take the risks that it'll be too much for me... Haha I'm a Taurus so yeah I like to maintain status quo, stability, and hate the 'unknown'...
For now, I like to take a day at a time, no BIG picture, no long term planning, face whatever comes my way as it comes...but I heard people who live life this way, wont get anywhere far? Do I want to go far? Maybe for my self-esteem I would like to, but I want to rise higher and reach self-actualization needs...hehe...needs for "happiness", so maybe its ok if I didnt go far, as long as I'm happy

Some Moderation quotes : { I didnt even understand some of them...hahaha}

Half the vices which the world condemns most loudly have seeds of good in them and require moderate use rather than total abstinence. * Samuel Butler

Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl chain of all virtues. * Joseph Hall

Moderation is a virtue only in those who are thought to have an alternative. * Henry Kissinger
That moderation which nature prescribes, which limits our desires by resources restricted to our needs, has abandoned the field; it has now come to this--that to want only what is enough is a sign both of boorishness and of utter destitution. * Seneca

The heart is great which shows moderation in the midst of prosperity. * Seneca
Moderation is a fatal thing... Nothing succeeds like excess. * Oscar Wilde

Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.* Thomas Paine

Whatever you do, do it in moderation. *Proverb

Throw moderation to the winds, and the greatest pleasures bring the greatest pains.*
Democritus (Greek philosopher, 460-370bc)

Moderation, which consists in an indifference about little things, and in a prudent and well-proportioned zeal about things of importance, can proceed from nothing but true knowledge, which has its foundation in self-acquaintance.* Plato(Ancient Greek Philosopher, 428-348 BC)

Never go to excess, but let moderation be your guide. * Marcus Tullius Cicero

Only actions give life strength; only moderation gives it charm. *Jean Paul Richter

Moderation is commonly firm, and firmness is commonly successful. * Samuel Johnson

Moderation is a virtue only in those who are thought to have an alternative. *Henry Kissinger

I know that many have been taught to think that moderation, in a case like this, is a sort of treason. *Edmund Burke

No comments: