Oct 26, 2010

Dong Yi



I remember started watching this early July when my parents and my sisters were going to London for my niece and nephew's graduation day. So I had to stay at my sister's house to drive my nieces to school... and I think to put my sister and brother-in-law's mind at ease with another adult in the house. (Haha...me an adult?!). Anyway,at that time I was really juggling many dramas at one time, there's this Dong Yi, Bad Guy, Coffee House and Grudge of the Gumiho Child. I finished up Bad Guy and Coffee House, did I post something on them? I think I remember writing something for Bad Guy but I don't remember writing any on Coffee House... but hey if you're not a fan of any of the CH casts please don't waste your time watching....it's not something I will recommend. Now, Grudge of Gumiho Child, I haven't finished watching it... I don't know when I'll pick it up again with all other dramas (which might be more interesting) to pick on.. but it's just I hate the thought I have not finish watching something that I had watched over 50% of.....



Dong Yi, what can I say about Dong Yi?..... I've watched other period drama... sageuk dramas they called it... and to me Dong Yi fall under the same class as Yi San... it's not as addictive as Jewel in the Palace, Ballads of Seo Dong Yo or Jumong. They were some suspense episode ending that made you wanna continue watching another episode but it's still resistable since you need your beauty sleep and you have to work tomorrow morning. But for the above-mentioned korean drama... wah! I don't care, I went with no sleep to class (in the case of Jewel because I was still in Uni then) and to work for the other two. If I could escape class and work, I might doggedly continue til I finished watching all...



Dong Yi (Han Hyo Joo) , is a about a child who slipped in to the palace to work as a slave in order to find the culprit who framed her father and brother that resulted in their deaths. I don't remember the details of the drama, lets just say that Dong Yi befriended the King Sukjong (Ji Jin Hee) while he was travelling incognito and helps solve a case. She was then promoted to be the palace maid of Jang Hee Bin (Lee So Yeon), the king most favored mistress. At first she was in the mistress's camp against Queen Inhyeon (Park Ha Sun) but later she became the Queen's loyal supporter.


She also met her brother's bestfriend, Cha Chun Soo (Bae Soo Bin) who she hopefully hope she had not lost along with her father and brother. I think it's slightly obvious that he had feelings for her apart from brotherly affection, but she remain clueless to the end. I do wonder though if she's really in love with the king or she was just feels affectionate for him... (I don't think Han Hyo Joo's here merit a daesang for the MBC 2010 Dramas Award), now the king we know how much he loved Dong Yi, he's willing to give up the throne for her...but the drama tries to show Dong Yi has the bigger heart of not willing for him to give that up but dreaming of a grander dream beyond 'their love'.

I know sometimes I'm a romanticist, sometime a cynical... like Joo Won (Hyun Bin) said in Secret Garden, if he gave everything for Ra Im (Ha Ji Won) now, he's not confident he won't resent her for that later, he's not confident that they will live happily ever after. Still, I wish that Dong Yi would express some yearning how they could live happily as a normal couple beyond the public's eye....


I know that I wouldn't be fair to the person who prepared the costumes on how much I love Jang Hee Bin's costume especially her skirts. There are so beautiful and eye-catching. While Dong Yi and Queen Inhyeong pastel colours went unnotice by me. My niece said it was because only the villains wear bright and daring colours while the humble heroins wear subdued ones.. but I think even subdued colours can be beautiful right?

No comments: