Aug 12, 2009

Tarikh Luput Cinta


I'm not much of a malay-novel reader, but I was following this Malaysian novelis because I like her first novel sooooo much. Maybe "dekat dengan diri". So out of the blue I remember her while surfing the internet, and google if she have written a new novel. She have a blogspot of her own now and there I found out yes, she have her third novel out already. While reading her blog, she posted about this novel and the writer's blog - though the writer is not her friend nor have she read the novel herself -I was pulled by the title of the novel, very unique and when I read the synopsis on Lynn Dayana's blog I was even more pulled.

So when I go out to buy Leeya Myra's third novel, I also bought this novel. My intention was to read Leeya's first but I somehow left it in the office, so that night I read Tarikh Luput Cinta. I thought I'll just read a few chapters before turning down, but as usual when I really like the flow of the story, I can't let go... I read until early in the morning, the result with only about 1 hour sleep - I was a bit unfocused during the day, unmotivated to do any work hehehe....

This novel in my opinion is a bit different from other malay novel I read so far (mind you that I didnt read many), yes of course it's a romance novel so should have an element of love in it right? but it also slip in a bit of mystery - though not as thick as well known english novelist such as Sandra Brown, Lisa Kleypas, Sidney Sheldon etc... I kinda can guess who the bad guy is right from the first time his name appear in the novel. But nonetheless I like this novel very much. Maybe the humourous sarcastic humour of the lead characters ^_^ oh and maybe because I also like stories where the hero and the heroine hates each other but in the end the chemical component change to love. Or could it be possible that they really like each other from the start but because of pride, ego, differences, whatever that feeling gets cloudy and disguise as hate? Hmmm...
Basically one of the three strangers chosen are eligible to inherit 22.5 million, after some kind of business challenges they had to sort through ( a bit like The Apprentice lah). They don't know what they had in common to be chosen out of other millions of people by this Tuan Haji Kamarul guy who is old, dying, childless but filthy rich. But as life has turned suddenly harsh on them they decided to try it out, nothing to lose but 22.5 mils to gain. Rezzal, Airel and Imanina - from strangers they became fast friends who trust each other, though between Airel and Imanina there is some friction, while I wish someone like Rezzal could be real (is there a guy who's as forgiving and kind and smart as him? cause I'm not the forgiving type - forget no insult, forgive no injury - thats me ^_^ but I respect those who can forgive easily).

So as they goes on with the task set for them, disaster upon disaster starts to befall them, though a small percentage they began to suspect each other, but stil they trust each other more as they get along fine and get to know each others' family. I love the 'bonding' between these 3 characters. There seem to be another entity who don't want them to win... Could it be Hilman the young, handsome attorney who arrange everything from the start? Hilman who stole Imanina's heart to the disgust of Airel and sympathy of Rezzal for Hilman was already engaged and soon to be married. Thoigh I know, Hilman just an extra character, I don't really mind him, then he said to Imanina if she's willing to have him, he will ditch his fiancee. Hellloooo.... firstly he wants to dump his fiancee for you which is not a good sign, if he can do that to her easily without regret and guilt, he can do that to you in the future as well, secondly, he will only dump her if you commit to him...hah! show how much he cares for you right ? that if you won't he just stick by her then. Men!
Haha...maybe i became too jaded and cynical as age keeps piling up. Just the other day watch The Proposal with my sis and nieces, it's a chick flick so I don't have that high of expectation. But still the movie does not make a good impression on me, no chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, she looks old for him, and most importantly he hates her for 5 years and in 3 days could fall in love with her? Urgh!!! I do like Ryan Reynolds, he could be funny, a jerk, sensitive and macho at the same time

Anyway, back to Rezzal Airel and Imanina, what will become of them? Will they survive the challenge? Who will win? I won't spoil the ending here. Hmm...wouldn't it be nice if this novel get turns into a movie? Malay movie nowadays are so stereotypely boring :(









Spoiler don't read!!!


What I don't understand is in the end we know that Kamarul's motive is revenge. But what is his overall plan if someone didn't mess it up? Surely not truly giving them 22.5m right????





I also finished Leeya Myra's Critera Rindu tonight, it don't do much for me. It also has a revenge motive, it sorta predictable and although the hero character is nice (especially cute when he's jealous ^_^) but his name spoils it for me, cause it's the name of my collegue at work, so I can't help but envision his appearance as him. and what's up with the name Imanina anyway? Leeya was also using that name for the heroine of this novel....

No comments: